Translate

Saturday, October 2, 2010

GPS leads to Destruction

Travelling through the rest of Texas and into New Mexico was a thirteen hour trip in the van where we arrived at Jon's uncle's house for lodging. My wife was less than enthusiastic when the GPS led us at night into an Indian Reservation away from all civilization. We went from a divided paved road, to a single paved road, to a dirt road, to sand paths in the field where we were beginning to lose phone signal. My wife and children had to ask me if I really knew where we were at. After going a couple of miles out in the field, thinking that it was just a short cut to a main road, we heard the GPS tell us that we had arrived but there were no signs of civilization. My wife was waiting for a witch doctor to jump out and the girls began to pray out of fear setting in. Nathan was imagining what an adventure it would be to have a dirt bike on the trails. Jon was entertaining the idea of shutting off the lights and scaring everyone even more until the thought of his wife's response made him think twice. I was able to turn the van around without getting stuck in the sand and found my way back out safely.
Once out of the field, my wife double checked the address to my uncle's new house, and discovered that Jon put the wrong address in the GPS. I'm sure God allowed this adventure for a reason. It will be one of those stories that is funny once the initial scare has wore off.
The next morning we got the GPS and an atlas to show Jon's uncle where we ended up driving to. He told us how lucky we were that we didn't get our van stuck and how many dead bodies have been discovered out in those fields. That just made the story that much better, to realize that God protected us.

No comments: